Here’s the scoop on the parking/street closing situation on Parade Day in Southie.
The annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade, as well as the annual South Boston Boys and Girls Club Road Race, will be held in South Boston on Sunday, March 19, 2017. The parade and related events will result in street closures and traffic detours in South Boston and the surrounding area, and reduce on-street parking availability. Those coming into South Boston for the festivities are strongly encouraged not to drive their personal vehicles. Information on Hubway, the regional bike share system may be found at www.theHubway.com, and information on the MBTA may be found at www.MBTA.com. For a faster return trip, the MBTA advises riders to purchase a round-trip rather than a one-way ticket.
The parade will begin at 1 PM on West Broadway at Broadway Station and continue to East Broadway ending at Farragut Road. All streets along the following parade route will be closed to traffic from 10 AM to 4 PM.
- The route will take marchers from West Broadway to East Broadway ending at Farragut Road.
The road race will begin at 11 AM on West Sixth Street and will end at Noon.
- The route will take runners to Dorchester Street, right onto East Broadway, down and around the Farragut Statue at Day Boulevard, to East Broadway, right onto West Broadway, left onto E Street, left onto West Sixth Street, ending at the Boys and Girls Club at #230 West Sixth Street.
“Tow Zone No Stopping Boston Police Special Event Sunday” temporary parking restrictions will be in effect as follows.
- Dorchester Avenue, both sides, from Gillette Park to Old Colony Avenue (Staging Area)
- Old Colony Avenue, both sides, from Dorchester Avenue to C Street
- East First Street, both sides, from Farragut Road to O Street
- West Sixth Street, both sides, from F Street to Dorchester Street
- F Street, Boys and Girls Club side, West Sixth Street to Bowen Street
- Summer Street, South Boston, east side, from East First Street to the end of 776 Summer Street
- Summer Street, Financial District, South Station side, from Atlantic Avenue to the MBTA bus stopper near 245 Summer Street
DCR Parking Advisory: Resident Parking for South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade
All vehicles not displaying a South Boston resident parking sticker will be asked to exit the Castle Island parking lot before 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 18. Due to parking restrictions created by the parade, DCR will accommodate vehicles with valid South Boston resident parking stickers at Castle Island from 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 18, through 10:00 p.m. on Monday, March 2o. After 7:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 19, the lot will open to parking for all visitors.
The Castle Island parking lot will be staffed overnight through Sunday. All vehicles will be checked for South Boston Resident Parking Stickers between 7:00 p.m. Saturday and 7:00 a.m. Sunday. Non-resident vehicles will be allowed to park at Castle Island after 7:00 a.m. on Sunday. All cars will be allowed to park overnight on Sunday into Monday, March 21oth. Normal Castle Island parking restrictions return on Monday, March 2oth.
DAY BOULEVARD Parking, Shore Road
Beginning at 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. Sunday evening, parking will be allowed on both sides of Day Boulevard between the Bayside Expo Center and Farragut Road. Certain areas will be posted no parking on the day of the parade and parking rules will be strictly enforced. As always, do not park near fire hydrants, crosswalks, in handicap spots, or in intersections. Additionally, parking at curb cuts, on grass areas, sidewalks, and other pedestrian areas including double parking, will result in the issuance of parking tickets and fines. The Sugar Bowl parking lot opposite Marine Park will be closed to parking as of Saturday, March 18, at 10:00 p.m. No parking will be allowed in the Sugar Bowl lot until after the event on Sunday, March 19th.
Additionally, Shore Road between Farragut Road and Day Blvd. will reverse direction and be one-way traffic only (eastbound) from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
(per discretion of the Massachusetts State Police)
WHEN: 7:00 p.m. Saturday, March 18, 2017 – 10:00 p.m. Monday, March 2o, 2017
WHERE: Castle Island Parking Lot OPEN to vehicles with valid South Boston Resident Parking stickers at 7:00 p.m. Saturday until 10 p.m. Monday.
Castle Island open to parking for all visitors Sunday, March 19, at 7:00 a.m.,
Day Boulevard, both sides, parking allowed: from Bayside Expo Center to Farragut Street from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on SUNDAY only.
Sugar Bowl Parking Area CLOSED from Saturday, March 18 at 10:00 p.m. to Sunday, March 19 at 7:00 p.m.