Happy Birthday America!
On the birthday of our nation's independence, we thought we'd share some fun facts about the Fourth of July!
- Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national animal but was outvoted when John Adams and Thomas Jefferson chose the bald eagle.
- The first Fourth of July party held at the White House was in 1801.
- The words Under God were not added to the Pledge of Allegiance until the year 1954.
- The Fourth of July was not declared a national holiday until 1941.
- An estimated $211 million has been spent importing fireworks to the U.S. from China.
- The Fourth of July ranks as the deadliest holiday of the year. We wonder if that has anything to do with above fact.
- 56 men signed the Declaration including two future presidents, three vice presidents, and ten members of the United States Congress.
God Bless America!